Open Calls |
PAST Special Features 2014 – Open Call
Converting RU into a low budget film studio for NYC based artists.
Special Features 2014 is a film production program designed to support the creation of short films and videos by New York City based artists. Selected applicants will have the opportunity to use RU’s Carroll Gardens unique church space setting as the backdrop to produce a new film or video with the support of RU’s production resources. Between March and June 2014, 4 selected artists will participate in RU's residency program for 1 month each. A public screening showcasing their work will take place at RU at the end of June 2014.
The title, “Special Features”, refers to the additional material featured on DVD film releases. This material highlights aspects essential to the realization of film (e.g. deleted scenes, interviews, and production reels). RU's tailored residency approach to the creative process is akin to the role of film production whereby filmmakers spend a large portion of time and energy in the planning and execution of their projects, ensuring that logistics run smoothly from start to finish. It requires flexibility, the ability to adapt and overcome challenges. The commonalities that can be found in both a RU residency and film-making highlight the making of process.
RU launched the first edition of Special Features in 2010 by converting an art gallery in Lower East Side into a low cost film studio and inviting 12 local artists to create a compelling piece over the course of one day each. You can view the resulting works and process here.
By participating in Special Features, you will receive:
- $500 Artist/Production Stipend
- Organizational and critical meetings with RU’s curatorial and technical staff to determine a production plan for the duration of the residency.
- On hand assistance by RU's staff during the production and post-production phase of the project.
- Access to material resources (i.e. film equipment, Material for the Arts, etc..)
- For 1 month from March through June 2014, 4 selected artists will be part of RU's international residency program and benefit from ongoing assistance.
- A final screening of your work will be held at RU end of June, 2014
- Works will be featured on RU's website, alongside works from Special Features 2010.
- You must be a New York City resident.
- Artists working in all mediums can submit a film/video based project proposal.
- Final work must be no longer than 10 mins.
Deadline: Monday February 24th, 2014 (Selection results March 1st, 2014)
This program is supported by public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the City Council and the New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew Cuomo and the New York State Legislature
Applications are now closed