Open Calls |
PAST – 2020 Food Futures Residency at RU
Food Futures Residency at Residency Unlimited (RU)
Dates: April 1-June 30 2020
Deadline for submission: Friday, January 17, 2020, 11.59pm EST
It is the most urgent question of our time: How will we feed ourselves when the table we eat on—Planet Earth—is collapsing beneath us? We have leaned on it too hard. Our food systems cause a third of greenhouse gases. And in a world where nearly a billion people go hungry, a third of food produced—1. (https://www.solidstonefabrics.com) 3 billion tons—is wasted yearly. We must rethink everything; we must redirect the present so we can rescue the planet’s future.
Politicians had their turn; they cooked up disaster. To radically reset this table, we need artists—makers, thinkers, and dreamers all at once. Let’s make this new decade the era in which, together, we fixed food.
RU is inviting applications for its second thematically-focused 3-month residency Food Futures, to take place in New York City April 1-June 30, 2020.
Why New York? Because more than half of humanity lives in cities now, and by 2050, 70% of us will; because this city is the engine of a massive food shed responsible for feeding 8.5 million people. The gravest stress is in cities, but here, too, is the greatest potential to solve the problem of feeding ourselves. Inequality, ecological degradation, and climate change are weakening the table. Here, we have a breathtaking challenge—and an enormous brain trust. Working with policymakers and food professionals of all kinds, our resident artists will embark on a project of global importance: to reimagine how we farm, ship, share and eat; for the sake of ourselves and the planet, to rethink the future of food.
Drawing on RU’s model of customized support, Food Futures participants will work from RU and have the option to develop projects while taking part in weekly discussions, meetings, and mentoring workshops with key professionals in the field taking place each Friday throughout the residency period. Food Futures will be accompanied by a series of public events, pot luck dinner talks, and concluding with a full-day symposium in June 2020.
– We are inviting applications from US-based artists. (International artists are welcome to apply but will
be responsible for covering their program fee and related costs.)
– Participating US-based artists will receive a one-time $1500 stipend.
– All participating artists are responsible for their travel or accommodation costs.
– Artists should be available to attend Food Futures meetings and workshops every Friday throughout the residency period.
Application and Selection Timeline:
– December 11, 2019: Applications Open
– January 17, 2020: Applications Close
– February 3, 2020: Applications Review by RU’s curatorial staff and external advisors
– February 10 and 11, 2020: Interviews with the finalists
– February 15, 2020: Announcement of selected US-based artists
Please provide the following material via the Submission guidelines below:
– Contact information
– 500-word statement of interest
– Digital portfolio of 10-15 images (up to 5MB) and/or up-to 90 seconds sound or video excerpts;
– CV and narrative bio
– Up to 5 URLs linking to a project website, social media, talks, reviews, etc.
Applications should be emailed to email@example.com as one PDF
Deadline: Friday, January 17, 2020
This program is supported, in part, by public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs in partnership with the city council and with generous support from the National Endowment for the Arts.