Ragdale Open Call: 2018 Alice Judson Hayes Fellowship + Residency
Deadline: 15 May, 2017
Disciplines: All Disciplines, Animation, Architecture, Ceramics, Choreography, Collaboration, Composition, Dance, Design, Digital, Drawing, Experimental, Film & Video, Fine art, Gastronomy, Installation, Literature, Media Arts, Moving Image, Music & Sound, Painting, Performance, Photography, Poetry, Printmaking, Sculpture, Sound, Technology, Theater, Visual Arts, Writing.
Location: Lake Forest, IL, United States
Deadline: 15 May, 2017
Duration: Fellowship; varies
Eligibility: While there are no publication, exhibition or performance requirements for application, applicants should be working at the professional level in their fields
Support: $500 stipend, Free Residency/Housing, Board,
The Alice Judson Hayes Writing Fellowship is an annual award in memory of Alice Hayes, who created the Ragdale Foundation in what had been her family home. All her life she was committed to working for a just and peaceful world. An 18- or 25-day residency, free of charge, and a $500 stipend will be given to a writer who is working on a project designed to bring awareness to a contemporary issue having to do with peace, social justice, education, or the environment. Projects can be nonfiction or fiction (including journalism, essays, memoir, script-writing, creative nonfiction). No academic writing.
Application deadline is May 15, 2017. Applications are submitted through the Submittable online portal for the Alice Judson Hayes Fellowship, a category separate from the regular application deadline. Notification is in July 2017, with the residency taking place during 2018.
For an 18- or 25-day fellowship in 2018, apply by 11:59 PM CST May 15, 2017.
One Alice Judson Hayes Fellowship is awarded annually. Ragdale encourages applications from artists representing the widest possible range of perspectives and demographics, and to that end, emerging as well as established artists are invited to apply. While there are no publication, exhibition or performance requirements for application, applicants should be working at the professional level in their fields.
Ragdale encourages artists of all backgrounds to apply, and does not discriminate against anyone on the basis of age, disability, gender, origin, race, religion, or sexual orientation.
All applicants submit electronic materials through the Submittable application portal. Please note the following requirements to complete your application:
1. A completed online application form.
2. Two current letters of reference from people who know you personally and can address your professional capacity and suitability for a residency in a working community with other artists. Reference letters are confidential and are submitted electronically through Submittable. Reference letters are due 11:59 PM CST June 1, 2016.
3. A one-page artist’s statement and work plan explaining your work and what you plan to do while in residence.
4. A one-page CV or resumé that summarizes your professional background.
5. Work samples that show previous work from the past 2-3 years. All media is acceptable. Most electronic file types and sizes are accepted.
Applications are reviewed by a jury of Alice Judson Haye's family members. Evaluations of work are based on the following criteria:
1. Work sample and statement show evidence of original, inventive and exciting new work.
2. Work sample demonstrates quality, technical proficiency, and is professionally presented.
3. Artist’s statement and resumé show evidence that the applicant’s work is reflective of continued, serious, and exceptional aesthetic investigation in the chosen medium.
4. Work plan demonstrates that the artist will maximize the benefits of a residency at Ragdale
5. References reflect the artist’s ability to work well in an artist community.
You will be notified of your admission status via email two months after the application deadline, approximately the last week of July to the first week of August.
May 15, 2017: Residency Application Deadline
June 1, 2017: Reference Letters Deadline
July 31- August 11, 2017: Residency Notification
For further assistance, please email Amy Sinclair or phone 847.234.1063, ext. 26.
Calls we like:
New Orleans Writers’ Residency
(Deadline: 1 Jun, 2017)
东 x 东南亚 East x South East Asia Residency Knowledge Exchange
(Deadline: 28 Apr, 2017)
Griffin Art Prize 2017
(Deadline: 3 Jul, 2017)
MASS MoCA – Assets for Artists – North Adams Project
(Deadline: 25 Apr, 2017)