KHUYANA | Artist-in-residence
Deadline: 8 Jan, 2018
Disciplines: All Disciplines.
Location: Iquitos, Amazon, Peru
Deadline: 8 Jan, 2018
Duration: One month up to three months
Eligibility: All disciplines
Support: housing, workspace, two exhibitions, airport transportation, workshop or open studio, mass media, Invitation letters and certificates of participation
Costs: 700 USD / month
The residency program "Khuyana" welcomes visual artists, architects, photographers, other disciplines; national and international for the period of one month (up to three months) to develop research and production projects related to the Peruvian Amazon, the community of Cuyana - Iquitos and amazon ancient cultures (Quichua and Kukama Kukamiria). The program aims to create an environment of cultural exchange, artistic production and research, architectural projects, etc.
The community of Cuyana has its origin in the migration of the Andean Quechua ethnic group to the Peruvian jungle, now known as "Quichua". The main activities of Cuyana inhabitants are the land and raising livestock.Nearby we find a community Kukama Kukamiria whose main activity is crafts, there is a tradition in the production of ceramics and balsa wood carving decorated with traditional motifs, vegetable fiber fabrics and other products that represent the cultural wealth held by the Community. Most of the population still preserving them Amazonian ancient culture but they are losing their original language. The residency program works in close collaboration with the self-management space Correlación Contemporánea, the volunteer program Sami Khuyay - Free School and the community of San Pablo de Cuyana, offering artistic workshops for children and young people, as well as the care of the infrastructure and space needs.
The studio is called “Wasicha”, is a floating indigenous maloka built with traditional techniques and materials of the Amazon ancestral architecture. The Wasicha was originally the center of Sami Khuyay - Free school whose mission is to strengthen indigenous culture and identity of children and young people of the community. In this time will host Khuyana artist-in-residence. The Walicha has a large multipurpose studio, three bedrooms available for artists, two bathroom, kitchenette, a large open space for installations, performances, etc., and camping area (only available from July to December).
One month up to three months (Residency period: March, April, May 2018)
Number of residents
- Transportation airport - residence - airport (pickup schedule will be provide).
Welcome session with a traditional amazon dinner.
- Residency period accommodation in floating amazon maloka with shared rooms.
- Weekly meetings and talks organized by coordinators to exchange information and ideas about a proposed topic.
- Wild jungle full day tour
- The organization is committed to holding two art exhibitions that will show the artist-in-residence products in two cities, the first one in Iquitos at the end of residency period, then pieces will be moving to the second exhibition in Lima.
- The AiR program will provide the space and promotion for resident’s open studios or workshops.
- The AiR program will provide the cultural promotion for resident’s exhibition in social medias, national Tv and/or radio.
- Invitation letters and certificates of participation to the participants will be extended.
Calls we like:
Guild Hall Artist In Residence
(Deadline: 10 Nov, 2017)
2018 RU Residency Open Call for US based artists
(Deadline: 5 Nov, 2017)
Feminist Art Conference Residency 2018
(Deadline: 15 Nov, 2017)