Open Calls |
PAST Open Call – Cadmium-Free Research Residency
Liquitex and Residency Unlimited (RU) are pleased to announce an Open Call available to a US based artist for a 6-week residency supported by Liquitex fine art materials, from September 18 to October 30th, 2017. Applicants should be fine artists interested in working with a new material created by Liquitex: cadmium-free paint that has all the essential qualities of cadmium paint, but is safer to use. This new material will not be available publicly until July 2017, when it will launch in the USA only. The residency is designed to engage with artists interested in a project that will incorporate cadmium-free paints, but is not limited to this material; Liquitex also offers the artist the opportunity to choose any of their other materials and artists are encouraged to explore a multi-media approach to the work they wish to realize on the residency.
What does this residency provide?
- A six-week residency from September 18 to October 30th, 2017.
- For non-NYC based artists, we provide travel to NYC and accommodation,
- A supply of Liquitex Heavy Body Cadmium-Free paint,
- a private studio stocked with Liquitex materials of your choice,
- We will also host an artist talk with you about your practice, moderated by a local curator/writer, which will be professionally filmed.
- A stipend of $500
- Access to RU’s shared, co-working space at 360 Court Street in Brooklyn.
- Ongoing logistical and technical support from the RU staff for the successful realization of their project or development of their practice.
- Participation in monthly field trips and workshops.
- There will be weekly curatorial meetings to ensure them with access to peers and creative feedback on their work.
- Each residency will conclude with a public presentation of their new work at the RU event space or at a partnering venue.
- Through RU's extensive network, these US based artists will engage with RU’s roster of international artists.
Learn more about the RU Residency Program here.
What are the criteria for selection?
-Visual artists, with a minimum BA Fine Art level of education and an active professional practice of at least three years, irrespective of age or nationality.
- Must be a U.S. resident, having resided in the country for at least three years.
-Artists should not be engaged in another residency or academic program during the residency period.
-All proposals should outline why you are interested in exploring the new cadmium-free paint.
-Applicants must agree to regularly share images of work in progress with Liquitex and participate in any photography and films produced by Liquitex during the course of the residency. These images/films may be used in Liquitex digital, print and public platforms, as well as any media channels they choose.
A jury consisting of RU staff, the Liquitex Artist Engagement Team and advisers will select the candidate based on the artistic quality of his/her work; quality of the proposed project; likely benefit to the artist of RU’s tailored residency; artist’s interest in engaging with the RU community and embracing the overall residency experience.
Short-listed artists will be interviewed by the panel members. Final selections are made by the full panel.
Application Deadline: June 16th, 2017 - 6pm EST
To apply, please email the following in a single PDF document, titled with your name, no larger than 5MB to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A short statement detailing what you intend to work on during the residency. (200 word maximum)
- An up-to-date CV
- Portfolio that includes work made over the past 3 years, up to 10 images only.
- If you have a time-based practice, you can send include URLS for us to review.
This program is made possible with the generous support from Liquitex.